Sunday, September 23, 2012

Late Night "Craving" (plus photos of my mini kitchen makeover!)

Ever up late watching TV and just feel the need to grab a bag of chips and pig out?  Please tell me I'm not the only one...

Late night snacking, as I have shared, is an issue with me.  I've been doing pretty good with it since beginning my September Challenge (no late night snacking- in case you missed the post).  Well the other night, I was catching up on some of my TV shows and I REALLY wanted some chips...I mean BAD.  I fought with myself for a while and then I got up, opened up the pantry and went to grab the bag of Doritos....but, I saw something that caught my eye.

Before I tell you what it was....a little back story on where it came from.  A while back, some of the ladies at church did a bible study called Made To Crave by Lysa Terkeurst.  In a nutshell, it's about learning to replace your cravings for food with a craving for God.  Excellent resource for those looking for spiritual guidance for weight loss. Anywho, in one of the chapters, she tells of how posting various scriptures and positive phrases on index cards around her house really helped her. 

Okay, back to me reaching for the chips.  I was reaching for them when I saw one of the index cards that I had taped to one of my pantry shelves (I had forgotten I had even put it there!)And guess what was right under the card....yep, the Doritos.  My hubby reorganized the pantry the other day (he's a little OCD about certain things....ssshhhh, don't tell him I told you.) and the chips were not in the "normal" spot. 

 
 
I thought about it and decided against the chips.  So, in this case, my hubby's OCD came in handy :)  Food is the most prevalent temptation in my life, so this scripture really hits home. 
 
 
So, just wanted to share this little tip with you guys.  Even if you don't want to post scriptures, any kind of positive phrases would work.  Put them on your refrigerator, in cabinets, pantry, etc.  Anywhere you will be tempted.  Hope this helps :)
 
 
 
Okay, now to the mini kitchen makeover pictures.
 
In one of my early blog posts, I showed you guys pictures of how I made a "tile" kitchen backsplash out of stainless steel contact paper.  I liked it for a while, but the shiny-ness of the paper accentuated every single little flaw on the wall.....and there were a lot of them. 
 
It ate at me long enough and I decided to change it.  Our budget it very tight, so I had to figure out a super inexpensive and temporary way to get a new backsplash.  Since we are renters, I can't permanently change anything. 
 
I had seen some really cute ones on Pinterest and one day I was browsing in Dollar General and I saw the exact contact paper used in one the pictures I saw. 
 
This is the original picture I saw on Pinterest....



So, I see the paper and grab up 5 rolls of it.  All 5 only cost me $12.50.  We were able to do the entire kitchen with it and even had some left.  I think it's super cute and I really love how it turned out.  This paper hides all the flaws on the wall, so now I can sleep better :)

Here's how it turned out...


I love it!  I have to give a lot of the credit to my hubby.  I come up with ideas and he helps me make it happen.  He's definitely a keeper :)  And I even used some of the extra contact paper to dress up my metal coffee can in my little "coffee nook".  I used chalkboard contact paper as the label.


Cute, right?!?!  I think so.  And it only cost me around $12. 

Storage is also an issue for us.  I have always wanted a pot rack, but our kitchen is small and I wasn't sure where it would go.  I was cleaning out one of our closets one day and I noticed we had a curtain rod we were not using and I also found some S-shaped shower curtain hooks and the wheels started turning.  I had the PERFECT place for my pot rack. 


I love how it turned out!  It gives the kitchen some character and charm, plus it's practical.  Now I have more cabinet space for other things. 

Anyway, sorry about the long post.  Just thought I'd share my mini kitchen makeover with you guys since I haven't posted any crafty stuff in a while.  Thanks for reading :)

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment