Thursday, September 6, 2012

September Challenge

So, I have been thinking a lot about life-long health changes and how to achieve them.  I usually try to change everything all at once, which is the main reason I can't master these changes.  In fact, I know a lot of people who try to do this.  Think about it.  Why should we expect ourselves to change EVERY bad habit that we have formed over a lifetime overnight??  It's impossible!  Our lives are not like light switches. 

Let's say someone does something that really hurts you.  Can you just switch those feeling off with the snap of your fingers?  No!  It takes time to get over.  You have to work through it.  Same concept here. 

For as long as I can remember, I have had an "all or nothing" mentality when it comes to being healthy.  I'm either 100% ON or 100% OFF.  So far, I haven't been able to change that about myself.

So, I have come up with a plan that I think may work.  It's a slow going plan, but I think it's what is best for me. 

Each month I will challenge myself to new change.  Only one change.  I know it doesn't sound like much, but this is a lifelong battle.  I have to figure out a way to overcome my bad habits and incorporate new, healthy habits.  Habits are formed by doing something on a regular basis, right?  I think that changing one thing each month will help me get to where I want to be.  I will focus on being diligent with whatever challenge I am faced with each month. 

For the month of September, I have challenged myself NOT to do any snacking (WHATSOEVER) after dinner.  Late night snacking has been an issue for me for a long time.  I believe it's one of the main reasons I am unhealthy.  I will only allow myself to have water or a non caloric drink. 

Each month, I will come up with a new challenge and incorporate it with the previous challenge.  Like I said, it will be a slow process but I think it will work.  Baby steps. 

So, what do you think about my plan?  Do you think it's a good plan? 

I welcome anyone who wants to join in with me.  The more, the merrier. 

Until next time... 

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I'm not sure my head is in the right place today to join you but you have my support. Setting goals is a good way to stay focused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support, Laura. It seems like pretty small goals, but in a year's time...I will have lost 12 bad habits and gained 12 good ones. That's pretty remarkable if you think about it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! Hmmm, I just might have to join in!

    ReplyDelete